Scout mindset vs. Soldier mindset – Ministry of education, Singapore



Not long ago I listened to a TED talk by Julia Galef. Now, that I have received a response from the Ministry of Education, Singapore, I think this topic is relevant and fits in with what I have been writing. 


Perspective is everything, especially when it comes to examining your beliefs. Are you a soldier, prone to defending your viewpoint at all costs — or a scout, spurred by curiosity? Julia Galef examines the motivations behind these two mindsets and how they shape the way we interpret information. When your steadfast opinions are tested, Galef asks: "What do you most yearn for? Do you yearn to defend your own beliefs or do you yearn to see the world as clearly as you possibly can?"

I believe I am a scout when trying to collate information. But, I turn into a ‘soldier mind set’ when I have collected enough information on the subject I have researched.

The Education Ministry should have a scout mentality and learn from research done by others and not defend itself just because they have believed in the wrong things for decades.

This reminds me of what Mohammad Ali had once said.

I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm right.



Galef asks: "What do you most yearn for? Do you yearn to defend your own beliefs or do you yearn to see the world as clearly as you possibly can?"

People believe they are right (even if they are wrong) because they solely rely on third party information, and because of that, they don't need to think for themselves. 

When new and conclusive evidence that is different from what has been believed for decades is provided they choose to ‘shut down’ and refuse to think. 

The Ministry of Education of Singapore for instance, holds a core belief that is strong. When I presented evidence that works against that belief, it is unwilling to accept the new evidence. 

I would have expected the Ministry of Education of Singapore to be willing to be educated and change their viewpoint for the sake of the future generation but boy was I wrong.

To be continued......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My email to Datuk Sr Bernard Liew Chau Min - director of Land and Survey

CORRUPTION

Service of Land & Survey Department of Sarawak and Sabah