Assertiveness (Part 3 of 3)



One of the commenters on Nitu Bhojwani's post had said:

“Assertiveness is a state of Balanced Emotions. It's a way how you constructively use your Anger.”

When you write as I do in a blog there is no place for anger. One may get angry when talking or discussing with another. However when one writes a blog one is usually calm and collected. I usually write whatever I want to write and check it again before posting it the following day. As such I can be assertive without being angry.

What is one expected to do when one is sure of one’s findings after getting the information from the horses’ mouths (in my case from my students who could not read until after a few months of tuition with me)?
 
Those who have been following my blog posts know that I have written to many educational institutions around the world. I have written to many professors, universities, ministers and education offices. Almost all of them do not respond to a simple question as to whether the TV clip teaching sounds of alphabets is correct or otherwise.

I am dead certain that the cause of illiteracy all over the world is teaching of sounds of alphabets wrongly. Obviously, there will be kids who cannot read because they have phonological awareness problem or acuity or other problems. I am referring to kids who are predisposed to shutting down when they are confused.

If that TV clip by Babytv is allowed to be aired in more than 100 countries then for certain millions of kids will end up being shut down from learning to read. I have explained this with corroborative evidence in my book – 'shut down kids'.

As such, I will continue writing assertively on this subject until educational establishments around the world understand the fact that phonics is not to be blamed but how it is being taught.

For teachers interested in finding out how phonics is to be taught correctly please read the post by Sue Lloyd at http://tcrw.co.uk/. Listen to step I under the first column labeled ‘Teaching children to read and write’.

The above is exactly how the sounds of alphabets are to be taught.

Please compare the above with the sounds of alphabets taught in the video clip that is being aired in more than 100 countries - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8gFfr2b5hU

Please compare the sounds of the consonants in both the clips.

I know for a fact that kids predisposed to shutting down will disengage from learning to read when they have been exposed to BabyTv’s episode  ‘Charlie and the alphabets’.

Comments

Luqman Michel said…
I have also written to another committee member of Reading Reform Foundation UK. She said she represents RRF and will discuss the matter with the members of RRF and get back to me.

Why did Sue Lloyd not want to comment on the BabyTV clip on Alphabet sounds?

It is a matter of time before Baby TV is made to remove that programme.

I have written to the PM of Singapore this morning regarding the airing of that clip in Singapore.

Soon, I shall write to other government offices around the world.

Popular posts from this blog

My email to Datuk Sr Bernard Liew Chau Min - director of Land and Survey

CORRUPTION

Service of Land & Survey Department of Sarawak and Sabah