Sue Lloyd - A phonics proponent (Part 2)


Here is my first email to Ms Sue Lloyd. I have now decided to post all correspondences to and from Sue and me here in this blog.

Please read my earlier post before reading this.

Bear in mind the following sentence from the first post;  


"This teaching has now become known as synthetic phonics because the children are taught to synthesise: that is, blend the letter sounds to work out the words for themselves."



14 Nov 2018 at 19:55



Dear Ms Sue,
I started teaching kids in 2004 to find out why many kids who are smart are unable to read in English.

These same kids could read in Malay which uses the same 26 alphabets as does English.

I have been working in the auditing field for most of my life. With my auditing background, I started asking many questions as I started tutoring kids on a one on one basis since 2004.

I taught, observed and 'interviewed' all the kids I taught and have ascertained that kids predisposed to shutting down, shut down from learning to read when they are confused.

They get confused when what they learn subsequently does not match what they had learned initially.

The UK is one of the culprits as they have allowed a programme that will definitely shut down kids predisposed to shutting down.

I believe letter sounds should not be taught with extraneous sounds. What is your view?

Please, read my blog post and give me your valued comment.


Thank you and kind regards,
Luqman Michel

Note now added: Please ponder as to how a kid, especially a kid predisposed to shutting down when he is confused, will synthesise:  "that is, blend the letter sounds to work out the words for themselves" when he learns letter sounds as in the video clip above.

Is there a possibility that Ms Sue has avoided my question because the programme is from the UK?

We shall examine this thoroughly in the next few days.

You may read my emails to/from Baby TV here: 
http://www.dyslexiafriend.com/2018/10/correspondence-to-and-from-babytv-and.html





Comments

Luqman Michel said…
How would a kid who has learned the letter sound of 'N' as 'na' synthesise that sound with the sound 'ot'. How will the child sound out the word 'not'?

How does a child synthesise the sound of the letter 'L' sounded out as 'La' with the sounds of 'ap'. How will he pronounce the word 'lap'?

Popular posts from this blog

My email to Datuk Sr Bernard Liew Chau Min - director of Land and Survey

CORRUPTION

Service of Land & Survey Department of Sarawak and Sabah