Vicarious Liability


More than a month ago a lawyer told me that I cannot hold someone in a firm of lawyers liable for the injury caused by the action of another lawyer in the firm. Of course this did not sound logical to me but it was at the back of my mind until today and now I have the answer for friends who may want to be a little more informed.

Vicarious liability refers to a situation where someone is held responsible for the actions or omissions of another person. In a workplace context, an employer can be liable for the acts or omissions of its employees, provided it can be shown that they took place in the course of their employment.

Therefore, a partner of a legal firm can be held responsible for the action of his employee.

Is vicarious liability a cause of action?

Under the theory of vicarious liability, certain parties can be held liable for an injury that they did not cause through their own actions. But vicarious liability is limited to relationships where there is a legal connection between the parties and the responsible party exercises control over another entity.

Comments

Unknown said…
Of course the firm will be liable in any case
Luqman Michel said…
Thank you very much for your confirmation. I am still awaiting the verdict to my hearing held a few months ago by the Inquiry Commission.
Wish you well.

Popular posts from this blog

My email to Datuk Sr Bernard Liew Chau Min - director of Land and Survey

CORRUPTION

Service of Land & Survey Department of Sarawak and Sabah